Sunday, October 31, 2010

Will VA retain Pershing Place, a pocket park dedicated to World War I veterans?

I've discussed the pocket park - and its iconic World War I doughboy statue - before.

But here's some more information on the site at the confluence of Tulane Avenue, Banks, and S. Galvez, all from a friend of the blog.

The park was originally known as Tulane Park, but then became commonly known as "Billy Goat Park" or "Nanny Goat Park" after it was organized via a city ordinance in the late 1800s.  Following World War I, it was renamed Pershing Place in honor of General "Black Jack" Pershing, leader of U.S. Forces in Europe in World War I, as this snippet from the PRC's Preservation in Print magazine points out:















The statue in Pershing Place is clearly inspired by Ernest M. Viquesney’s 1920 copyrighted design “The Spirit of the American Doughboy” yet nobody seems to know the artist who executed our particular statue.

ADDED: I should note that the park is actually in the LSU Footprint, but I would hope that the VA, given its immediate proximity across the intersection, would intervene with LSU and the State of Louisiana to save the iconic space dedicated to veterans.

No comments: