Saturday, October 23, 2010

Solitary Artist



















An artist appeared on the landscape yesterday in the VA Footprint.

As he painted an old guesthouse and shed behind one home, I thought about artists and the site for a bit.

For a city that has such a burgeoning art scene, I've seen almost zero artistic response or reaction or challenge to the LSU/VA hospitals project.  Local artists, by and large, in my opinion, have really failed on this one.  Where have you been St. Claude?  The project is a glaring opportunity for creating highly relevant artwork that addresses a major, emotional, multi-faceted public issue.

A few exceptions do come to mind, however.  Professor Stephen Hilger has brought his photographic eye to bear on the site for quite some time now, and I know he's been building up a trove of moving photos.  I also saw Charles, who runs The Dark Room, leaving the site as a storm rolled in one day with photo equipment in hand.

Perhaps I've overlooked some artistic responses to the project.  If so, please feel free to send word along. But as it stands, I'm at a loss when it comes to explaining the failure.

No comments: