Saturday, October 2, 2010
Inside the Footprint Last Evening #2
Revelers begin to trickle into the last ever Oktoberfest at Deutsches Haus, a neighborhood German cultural institution that has been on S. Galvez Street since the 1920s. In the background, the peaked roof of the school building that houses Priestly Charter School (built 1879 by the architect Freret) rises out of the LSU Footprint. Behind that, the geometric Art Deco massing of the still-vacant Charity Hospital building looms on the skyline.
Both Deutsches Haus and the "McDonough 11" school building will be demolished under the current LSU site preparation plan. No use has been determined for the over 800,000 square feet available in Charity Hospital at this time.
ADDED: Learn more about the history of Deutsches Haus here.