Tuesday, February 8, 2011

State Continues Site Preparation in UMC Footprint


















I'm not quite sure what to make of what I saw going on in the UMC Footprint this afternoon.  It's either brazen and purposeful disregard for HUD rules as I understand them, or it's just plain old stupidity.  At any rate, the State of Louisiana continue to jeopardize funding necessary for the completion of the proposed UMC hospital by continuing with site preparation despite a warning from its own consultant.

Multiple lots were being cleared by heavy equipment down in the block bounded by Claiborne, Cleveland, S. Derbigny, and Palmyra.

If HUD, for some reason, has approved this type of activity, I welcome anyone from the state or the UMC Board to contact me with proof.  But until that time, I will continue to call out what appears to be reckless activity based on public statements made at the last UMC Board meeting and reported in the Times-Picayune.

1 comment:

Brad V said...

I should also note this. To anyone who says that the state/UMC could still go to the private bond market to get the $400 million necessary to bridge the gap, I'll remind you that at a UMC Board meeting in the fall, the Board's consultant noted that if the project failed to win HUD backing, there was almost no realistic way it could succeed in the bond market.

That's why HUD backing at this point appears to be the only realistic way forward.