Saturday, December 11, 2010
Background - Outer Banks
As Outer Banks bar continues to operate, here's a bit of historical data on the property and building that lingers at the corner of Palmyra and S. Tonti from a friend of the blog:
The corner where the Outer Banks is located was originally a German bakery dating back to the 1870s.
The entire block had been owned by John Gauche, a crockery importer who was the man behind the 1859 Moresque Building. The block was sold at auction, as building lots, in April 1873 with the acts of sale recorded in the office of A. Dreyfous, Notary Public. The corner lot is No. 26 in Square 554, First District.
At the time the Robinson Atlas was compiled, in the late 1870s, the block was well-developed with only about a third of its lots still unimproved.
The corner of Palmyra and Tonti is shown, in the 1878-1879 tax assessment rolls, as being owned by Stephen Kuhn and rented to a baker named Fred. Rapp. A German man named Henry Hille later owned the corner and operated a bakery at that location before the turn of the century.