City Council Chambers
Reasons to oppose revocation of ALL the streets in the UMC Footprint as the state proposes:
- They don't have the money
- They don't need all of the streets right now even if they did have the money (much of the site is only for vague potential future expansion)
- There are still ongoing legal issues with the Blood Center and the Orleans Parish School Board
- It is unclear whether historic homes and McDonogh No. 11 School will be saved
- A U.S. Senator is now openly opposing additional federal support for the project, saying it's too risky
- The UMC business plan has yet to be completed
- The state has planned a "groundbreaking" on April 18 - without evening knowing if it will get street revocation approved by the CPC and the City Council
- If the state is now looking at scaling back the project, then why not retrofit Charity Hospital, as has been suggested as a viable alternative all along?
Tell the City Planning Commission to vote no on the state's request to revoke the streets in the UMC Footprint.